Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Let Freedom Ring

This morning we went down to the Warren, VT parade for the 4th of July. This event gathers close to 10,000 people into the small community that normally houses 1,200 for a morning of patriotic musing and showboating.

In some ways it is a typical parade. Vintage red fire trucks tool buy followed by smiling packs of elderly rotary club members handing out candy to the children. Politicians walk the short route to smile and hobnob with their constituents. But other things are different. No high school marching bands or significant contingents of soldiers to march. And then there are the political statements that range from protest, to libertarian to the simply bizarre.

I got lots of good pictures and have put many of them up here at my flickr account. Personally, I found this sort of expression openly displayed at a 4th of July parade refreshing, and it makes me proud to live in the U.S.A. I'm sure there are others who would consider it treasonous, or perhaps just simply inconsiderate and out of line.

I'd love to hear any thoughts in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home