Monday, March 26, 2007

Skepticism

I like to keep track of scientific thought and demonstrated proofs (theories) for how the world works. As a result I have seen evidence to convince me of global warming, peak oil, mass extinction, and a number of other not so fun phenomenon. However, I also get concerned when I'm around the passionate supporters of the causes around these issues.

Not that they are wrong. On the contrary, a passionate position is the only kind that has ever changed the world. No, my concern is that it is quite easy to use 'common knowledge' and extrapolation to put your views into the center of the universe. When that happens you can become closed to new ideas that can help inform your actions.

An example of this area is thinking about the Gulf Stream. The conventional wisdom is that this current is the reason that England and Europe stay mild, winter and summer compared to the frigid extremes of northern Canada, a place equally far from the equator. But, conventional wisdom may not always be true. This article about the Gulf Stream indicates that there is a grain of truth here, but the consequences of a gulf stream shift might be far different from those we expect.

I'd rather continue to educate myself and worry about the key issues. One article does not a rebuttal make, but my prior thoughts about the Gulf Stream and global warming have been called into question. And that is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home